Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 4- Jesse Eisenberg at the festival!


Day 4

Compared to the rest of the week, today does not rank as one of my favorites (as far as the seminars go). I started off the day by attending the MOFILM seminar with Jesse Eisenberg from the social network. I was excited to hear Jesse, but I was disappointed by the overall conversation. Jesse was awkward at first, but once he became more comfortable on the stage, things improved. The game site Eisenberg created, One Up On me, offered an interesting perspective to the idea of crowd sourcing.  Eisenberg promoted the idea that outsider’s participation offers the best material. I think the idea is valid. Yet, I still believe that research is needed to back up the final idea. In the example of Eisenberg’s site, everyone gives his or her own perspective on the topic. It is a great way to get people involved!

During the seminar, they showcased the new Chevy commercials. Chevy recently partnered with MOFILM in hopes of producing more creative ads. Since I am from Texas, I am used to the “Chevy Is The Best In Texas” slogan. I was shocked to see something else! The first video did not even show a truck; instead it showed a small car and based the ad on the idea that the person “knows what drives me.” It was catchy!

Chevrolet is also investing in a global campaign called “Chevrolet Route 66.” In it, individuals film their favorite routes and submit it to the company. I found this to be a very interesting concept. Normally, large companies specialize a campaign to the specific country or even city. I am curious to see if a global, non-specialized campaign will be a success!

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Jennifer Frommer from inerscope records. Like many others, I love listening to music. But, I never considered integrating music into my future career. Frommer did a wonderful job explaining the various tasks necessary for signing a client. She used Eminem and Lady Gaga as examples for placing your client with a brand. She emphasized the importance of sticking with your client’s morals, personality and beliefs. Often, it seems like celebrities randomly promote brands, probably for money. I now understand the importance of knowing your clients in order to accurately place them with a brand. Frommer also stressed the importance of authenticity.

Allison Arden from Ad Age was also enjoyable to listen to. She was good at engaging our group in the conversation as opposed to her talking the whole time. When asked if the publication had ever considered changing its name (due to the changing environment of advertising), she said she firmly believed that it would not happen. Though I understand that Ad Age could change its name to become more diverse of a publication, I respect their decision to keep its name. I think it is important that the advertising industry acknowledges the changing environment, but still sticks to its roots.

I am now off to the awards show and then the Microsoft Party! I’m excited to see Will.I.Am. tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment