Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 3- Robert Redford, Pharell and Martha Stewart!

So, yesterday I tried to post a portion of my blog via my phone, but after typing it the internet went out and I was unable to post anything yesterday. But, Anna saw me write out my entire blog in the Young Lions Zone yesterday, but I did not have internet to post it. But, here it is:

Today was by far my favorite day. It was a fun-filled, packed day with various seminars and mettings with different companies. I started off the day by attending the AgenciaClick Isobar and Fiat seminar. My day started off well, when I learned the man sitting next to me was not only from  Brazil (which is the country I am following at the festival), but is a director of marketing for McDonalds. We immidiately started talking about the future of Brazil's advertising, and in particular, the new initiative McDonalds is taking. Since there is controversy over McDonald's advertising to young children (because of health reasons), they are working on ways to change the McDonald's kids menu to make it up to par with health standars. He said to look out for a big release from McDonald's by the end of August!

The fiat seminar was an interesting concept---a crowdsourced car. I typically think of manufacturers producing cars and revealing them, without the consumer input. It sounds interesting!

The Women Leadership Network was enlightning. At the beginning, it was stated that 3% of women hold creative positions, yet, women influence 85% of purchases. This left me wondering why the presence of powerful women is lacking in this industry? I immediately thought that family must be a main component as to why women struggle to reach higher positions. Time spent at work vs time spent with the kids becomes a hard decision at times. While I still believe that family ultimately affects ones commitment to work, I also believe that the mentality of women in the advertising industry is negatively affected by incorrect stereotypes. Women are fully capable of working at high levels with men, but they have to believe that they are just as powerful as men.

During this seminar, I was surprised by some of the statements Carol Lam made. She made it seem like there are not gender gaps in China, which I do not believe. I would have thought China would have more issues with gender gap than the United States. I believe that the first step to fixing gender gaps is recognizing the gap and then working towards ways to fix it.

The Yahoo seminar was also very interesting. Robert Redford spoke about the importance of persistance and passion. Eventhough you might fail at first or it may take a while to reach your goal, it is necessary to persist through and believe in what you are doing. Overall, Robert Redford was extremely engaging and a great speaker!

It then attended the Digitals and Vevo seminar and then the Coca-Cola seminar. I agreed with Pharell on the importance of taking responsibility for your own destiny and taking risks. Risk taking seemed like a theme for the day!

The Coca- Cola seminar was very engaging. Their new campaign to increase the love for coke with teens seemed like an innovative and effect campaign. The "secret formula" campaign was original ad created lots of conversation for the brand.  It seems like cosumer engagement, 2 way conversations and consumer driven campaigns tend to lead to the most success!

Tomorrow is another packed day...I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment